Rose Lawn - a Victorian Beauty in Cartersville

A couple of Sundays ago, my husband and I decided to take a ride north just to do some leaf peeking. We wound up in Cartersville and as serendipity would have it, we stumbled upon the Rose Lawn House Museum.



A quick history found on the website: 
"Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, this beautifully restored Victorian mansion, now owned by Bartow County and operated as a house museum, was once the home of nationally renowned evangelist Samuel Porter Jones, for whom Nashville's Union Gospel Tabernacle (Ryman Auditorium) was built. In 1978, following a drive by local citizens to save Rose Lawn, the home was purchased by Bartow County and developed into a museum to house the writings and memorabilia of Sam Jones and Rebecca Latimer Felton, another Bartow Countian distinguished for her role in history as the first woman to serve in the U.S. Senate."

If course it was closed, but that didn't stop me from prowling around and peeking into every window I could. Here are some pictures I took while exploring.



The gate from the street.




This is around the side of the house.



There is a beautiful brick walk all around the house.


The back is just as interesting. 


Of course, I crawled up some stairs marked "Do Not Enter" to the second floor. There is an interesting sink on the 2nd floor porch.


From this porch you can see the interesting details of a tiny brick outbuilding that is almost right up to the house. 



Walking back around to the front, I spied and open window. Wonder if I could figure out a way to climb up there?


On around to the side. There are little insets of stained glass windows all over this house.


So that ends the tour for now. As soon as I am able, I plan to visit so I can get a good look at all the goodies inside.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seaside Hotel or Badehotellet

1848 House...Haunted?

Victorian Fashion Photos