The Good Witch

 
















It is getting close to Halloween time and time to re-watch the Good Witch. 

The Good Witch is Hallmark's most popular and long lasting movies/series. 

Why is it so popular? I like it and ask myself that all the time. Perhaps it is the subtle hint of supernatural powers but not the overt "wicked witch" kind. Perhaps the great building that is Gray House. (Which is really a B&B in Dundas, Ontario called Foxbar House.)  You can read about it here. 




Or perhaps, the positive endings of each show. 

Why do I love Hallmark Movies? 

Well, they give us an out, albeit temporary, from our fast-paced, often ugly, in your face, realistic worlds. They feature small towns, people who have known each other for years; small family owned businesses that thrive because they aren’t strangled out of existence by big box stores on the edge of town; people who take pride in their homes, appearance, schools and town. 

These towns rarely exist, if at all except in the imagination of the creators. 

As much as I love these shows, some things do bother me. 

How can people who by storyline have low wage jobs – clerks, baristas, library aides, art gallery assistants, stock people, etc. have such fancy, upper middle-class houses? And even if the house is small, the inside is huge with expensive furniture, elaborate accessories, and high dollar coffee mugs? 

How can these people afford the artisan jewelry they all wear? 

And coffee -- let's talk about coffee! 























People walk around the streets of their quaint small town talking holding high dollar coffees they just bought from the barista who lives in the fanciest house in town. They walk fast, gesture and swing those cups around like there is nothing in them. 

That is because -- there is nothing in them. 

But back to the Good Witch. I do like this series. I like many of her sayings. And I like her non-judgmental attitude toward people. I should be more like that. 

As I have gotten older, I cheer myself up by watching happy things on TV that smooth out the rough roads of life. 

I guess that is part of the formula that makes these movies and TV shows so popular.

What do you think?

Pat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seaside Hotel or Badehotellet

1848 House...Haunted?

Victorian Fashion Photos