Being a Frugal Senior?

I just got back from my trip to Savannah. It was wonderful!
I could bore you with tons of pictures, but I think I will just add my favorite for now.



Of course, I spent a ton of $$$ but I had saved up for the trip so it really didn't hurt. But once I got home, I begin to feel a touch of guilt and decided with the holidays coming up to pinch some pennies.

I have always been pretty frugal by some standards:
  • I rarely buy Starbucks or other fancy coffees. I always bring my own coffee to work.
  • I never buy bottled water. Our water in our town is really good and if I run it through my fridge filter, it beats anything in a plastic bottle.
  • I take my lunch more often than I don't.
  • And I use small soap slivers until they die. (see post here)




But can I do better?

So, I turned off the radio during my morning commute -- they were just going on and on about the usual -- so I missed nothing. And I pondered. What could I do?

With Christmas coming up, I know we will spend quite a bit of money on travel, so I need a way to cut costs. Can I regift? Is that just too tacky? I have so many things given to me over the years, that I don't use, haven't gotten around to using, have too many of -- could they be part of a regift plan?

https://christmas.lovetoknow.com/Slideshow:Christmas_Gift_Wrap_Ideas


Not really sure about this, I googled regifting and Dave Ramsey had 10 Regifting Rules. I am going to highlight them here.

______________________________________________________________________________

Basic Rules for Regifting

1. The gift should make sense.

While regifting is a great way to save money and declutter, don’t regift something for the sake of regifting it. If you didn’t like the gift, there’s a chance the new recipient won’t like it either.
As a general rule of thumb, only regift an item if it’s something you would have gone to the store and purchased for that person. They should have a use for it. In other words, if your sister has killed every houseplant she’s ever come in contact with, she’ll probably have no use for the herb-growing kit you got last year.

2. Take off the gift tag!

When you decide to regift the scarf your Aunt Susan gave you last year, make sure you take the old gift tag off the bag or box. Imagine the fun at your Christmas party when your friend Sarah opens up the gift bag addressed to you, signed "with love" from Aunt Susan. Talk about a regifting fail!

3. Don’t regift gifts you received from meaningful people.

Speaking of Aunt Susan, she took the time to pick out that scarf, even if it’s not your style. She’s so sweet, and you love her so much. Imagine the smile on her face when she sees you sporting that scarf at your next family gathering. Sometimes you just have to keep the gift to keep the peace.

4. Don’t regift family gifts.

This should go without saying, but we’re saying it anyway: Don’t give family heirlooms away. For example, your mom sentimentally gave you your grandmother’s ornate broach last month. You know you won’t wear it, but you have a friend who loves vintage items and would adore it. That’s fine, but please don’t regift that broach. Instead, hit up a thrift store for your friend and keep the broach in your jewelry box where it belongs.

5. Avoid regifting within the same circle of friends.

Here’s an embarrassing regifting scenario: Your friend Jen gave you a perfectly fine set of coffee mugs for your birthday this year. Only problem is, your cabinets are already filled to the brim with mugs and dishes. So you decide to regift the mugs to Amanda for Christmas. On New Year’s Day, you’re invited to brunch at Amanda’s house, and lo and behold, she pulls the mugs out of her cabinet and thanks you profusely for the gift—right in front of your mutual friend Jen. Now you’re embarrassed, and Jen’s feelings are hurt. Save yourself the humiliation and don’t regift if your friends are in the same social circle.

6. Beware of the regift that keeps on giving.

If an item has been sitting in your "regifting closet" for a couple years, you might not remember where it came from. Assume you’re always one regift away from giving the gift back to the original giver. Regifting is okay, but when we tell you to give back this holiday season, this isn’t what we’re talking about.

7. Give sooner rather than later.

In theory, fruitcake has an expiration date. But even if you’re not regifting an edible gift, remember that trends come and go and "it" gifts of yesteryear eventually become irrelevant. For example, there’s only very few people who want your unopened Wham! CD.

8. Regift in moderation.

Look, if you’re following these guidelines, regifting here and there is fine. But let’s not pretend we’re the Oprah Winfrey of regifting: "You get a regift! You get a regift! Everybody gets a regift!" With that strategy, you’re bound to regift the wrong item and end up hurting someone’s feelings. Plus, you could come across as just being plain cheap.

9. Rewrap the gift.

Rewrap everything—the box, the gift paper, the packaging. You don’t know what lurks deep inside that box. It could be a personal note to you or a second smaller gift you totally missed. Be thorough. At least by rewrapping, the gift feels fresh and offers your personal touch.

10. Be honest.

Maybe you accidentally regifted an iPhone case back to Jason, who gave it to you last year. Or maybe you forgot to take the gift tag off the bag. Okay, you screwed up. If you find yourself in that situation, own it. Sure, it’s embarrassing at first, but be honest about why you regifted the item and move on.
_____________________________________________________________________________


We always have a White Elephant swap at work, so that is a place where I can regift. No one expects a great gift anyway.

https://www.partygameideas.com/white-elephant-gift-exchange/


Ok -- that is One.

Now, I just have to go through all the stuff I have been gifted, stored away and that I have never used and never will use and figure out what to do with the rest.

So what do you think about regifting? Is it OK? Not OK? What do you do with those pesky, unwanted, unused gifts?

Pat





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seaside Hotel or Badehotellet

1848 House...Haunted?

Victorian Fashion Photos