One Dress 100 Days

 In doing my research (surfing web) on sustainability, I ran into the blog of a teacher who wore the same dress for 100 days to drive home the point that we really do not need the amount of clothes most of us own. 



https://www.treehugger.com/teacher-wore-same-dress-days-4857511

Katherine Martinko





I was fascinated and happy she was driving the point home to children who are so susceptible to peer pressure when it comes to clothes.

Doing some more digging (clicking links) I found a Instagram hashtag #oneoutfit100days. Seems like others are doing the same thing. They are very creative in adding various accessories to spice things up and to accommodate weather changes. 

Katherine also proposes that we stand up to excessive waste and damage caused by fast fashion with the concept of being an "Outfit Repeater."



https://www.treehugger.com/why-you-should-be-proud-outfit-repeater-4852164





Then my guilty mind drifted back to the 1980's while I was working in one of my favorite jobs. Our department was very young and trendy and VERY FASHIONABLE.  And dare I say it? Snotty.  Yes, as only 20 somethings can be... Clothes were everything.

We had a girl getting her masters at night and she had exactly 5 dresses she wore during the week. Monday's dress was always Monday's dress, Tuesday the same dress as the previous Tuesday, and so on.  Now, don't get me wrong -- her dresses were beautiful and cost way more than I could afford. Our little snotty band would make catty comments and make fun of her behind her back. 

I finally asked her why she wore the same thing all the time. She was kind (obviously much more mature for her age than I was and we were the same age) and replied without any ugliness, "It is all I can afford. I like quality over quantity."  

She stopped me dead. What could I say? But that encounter (guilt) has stuck with me over the years. 

After I left that company, I remembered her words and I bought better things and higher quality and wore them more often. (Since I couldn't afford more - LOL) But even over the past few years, I have became trapped in the fast fashion frenzy. 
















And now, it is 2021 and I cannot find the quality clothes I used to be able to find -- at any price range. I can afford the high end stuff now but even that is flimsy, poorly made, and inconsistent sizing. 

Pat






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seaside Hotel or Badehotellet

1848 House...Haunted?

Victorian Fashion Photos