Fireplaces


When we moved in this house, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. We now have four fireplaces instead of one. Originally designed for burning coal, our fireplaces are small openings in a large hearth.



This is the fireplace in our bedroom.  Late Victorian, Edwardian, and Arts and Crafts houses usually had tiled hearths The screens were often metal plaques with front grates that covered the entire space.



Our bathroom has a fireplace as well. Yes, I know that can be unusual, but the previous owner sacrificed a downstairs bedroom to provide a large bath on the main level.



Both fireplaces have the soft, muted pink tiles favored by the Edwardians. Very pretty and very simple. Towards the end of the 19th century, people began to tire of the excess ornamentation, and shifted away from the darkness of the Victorian interior. Edwardian colors were fresh and light, with an informal feel.  

The living room, or front room as my husband calls it, still has the original surround, but the grate inset is missing. It has white tiles that gives it a fresh, airy feel. 


The decoration around the white painted cast iron surround adds a touch of whimsy. 



The dining fireplace has a brick surround. I don't believe the brick was original to the house. I think it had green tile. We found a small box of old green tiles in one of the out building. It is the only mantel in the house that was not painted white. 



The wood of the mantle is so pretty I think it works just fine without paint.

Our fireplaces all work, but have been converted to gas. there is evidence that there were fireplaces upstairs as well, but when the previous owner remodeled, she covered them over. At the end of the upstairs hall is the exposed brick of one of the chimneys. (And, yes, I haven't out away my snow village yet.)


Please comment and let me know you have been here.




Comments

  1. Hi! I do love those fireplaces and your knowledge of them! Don't you love houses, especially ones with history. Loved visiting , as always! Dianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di,
      Thanks for the comment. I love these fireplaces as well. They add so much to each room that are in. Thanks for stoping by and please visit again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seaside Hotel or Badehotellet

1848 House...Haunted?

Victorian Fashion Photos